tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 19 12:16:10 1995

Re: The `Ring Rhyme' in Klingon

> >  "Three rings for the elven kings under the sky"
> > Or should that be Elven Klings? :)
>
> Isn't it `Elf-kings' rather than `Elven kings' in the original?
My copy says "Elven-kings"

> > <jelvnganche'wIpu'vaD> I invented "jelvngan" to mean Elven,
>
> (1) {jelv} is not Klingon; {-lv} is not a permissible final.
> (2) Inventing words ought to be a capital crime.  Non-Klingon
>   words used in Klingon text (whether they have been made to fit
>   Klingon phonology or no) should be marked by asterisks or underscores.
Be fair.. Okrand was hardly going to invent a word for Elfs..
I came accross the problem of no equivalent so I thought I'd make one up for
the context of this passage.. it was a just a little fun and since The Lord
of The Rings doesn't mix with Trek.. I didn't think it would do any harm.

> (3) {-ngan} means `inhabitant', so it is totally out of place here.
Well I guessed alot at this.. since tlhIngan is Klingon but they aren't
inhabitants of kling. Well not in the TNG series anyway..

> > and used a compound noun with che'wI - Elevn rulers??
>
> That's {che'wI'}.  Try making them `Elf-emperors'.
Sorry.. missed of the ' eh!?!

> >  <Dwarghnganjawpu'VaD> - again, I made up a word..
>
> Your life is doubly forfeit now.  And {Dw-} is not a permissible initial.
> See above re {-ngan}.
See my above statement to the charges :)

> > I didn't want to use "very small men" coz I assumed that Tolkien was
> > meaning a more fantasy based people.
>
> Dwarves are not a kind of Men; they are not even related to them.
> `Very small Men' would be better applicable to the Hobbits.
> So you're right, it's best to borrow the English word:
> {_Dorgh_ jawpu'vaD} or something.
>
> >  I decided to try and say
> >  Nine for terans whom are doomed to die.
>                       *
> You're overdoing your English here.  :-)  Don't call Men `Terrans';
> Elves and Dwarves are Terrans too.  {Human} would be better.
Well, I forgot that Human would be in TKD.. so sue me! But you are right
about Elves and Dwarves.. I didn't think about that.

> Hm.  {HeghnISbogh Humanpu' jubbe'vaD Hut}?
Okay but I was trying to avoid saying that they 'needed' to die.. I'm sure
they'd be prefectly happy not too :)

> --'Iwvan
Thanks..
I'd like to make one final point.. you've mainly criticised me for making up
words and rightly so.. but since the intention of the translation was to
help me learn to put scentances together.. I don't think its too serious.
Plus, I was very unsure about the stuff I wrote.. since I'm new to the
language (newish) and you haven't made much of an effort to help me learn
anything.. true its not your job but I was assuming that you would rather
promote the language by helping people than consistantly critiscing
mistakes!

Back to archive top level