tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 10:34:31 1995

Re: Callendar software -- for Klingons

[email protected] (Arden R. Smith) writes:
\marqoS writes:
\ >Well, the most common usage in the U.S. is that Sunday is first; throughout
\ >most of the rest of the world, Monday is first.  I'd therefore say that Monday
\ >wins by the sheer weight of numbers. :)
\
\ >To provide an analogous Terran example, Japanese has no names for the days of
\ >the week, only numbers; and the 'first day' is Monday.
\
\
\ But Modern Greek, Portuguese, and Armenian, all of which make use of
\ numerical weekday names, begin the count with *Sunday*.

As does Hebrew, as ~mark pointed out (of course, as I indicated in my earlier
post, that only makes sense for the language of the Jewish religion).  I still
suspect that Monday is the first day of the week more places than Sunday is,
but I have no hard numbers with which to back up this statement, and in any
case I wholeheartedly agree that the choice is arbitrary.  So since charghwI'
is the one doing this, and he said "Monday", how about we just agree
that henceforth when referring in Klingon to the days of the seven-day week
used by most Terran cultures, {jaj wa'DIch} shall correspond to that day known
in English as "Monday"?

-marqoS
--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level