tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 08:40:19 1995

re: calendars

On Wed, 17 May 1995, *ghItlh* Steve Weaver:
> Wed, 17 May 1995 08:22:00 -0400 ghItlh David E G Sturm <[email protected]>:
> >I imagine the Klingons would have a 3- or 9- day week anyway if they
> >indeed have a fascination with things three....  So indeed, "Klingon
> >calendar" is a misnomer....  It's just a Terran Calendar with Klingon
> >Subtitles....  (I'm still going to make one out with pIqaD anyway.)
>
> I agree, although a 3 day week is too short. I'd buy a 9 day week though as
> the "days" and "years" are supposed to be longer than the terran one
> anyway. Besides, 3 times 3 has more "magic" }};-)
>
> Will someone bring back a calender from the homeworld so we can answer
> these questions once and for all?

I guess we could create a non-canon 9-day week for our own amusement
based on the Terran calendar...  Declare Jan 1 as jaj wa'DIch, (or even
wa' jaj or wa'jaj: one's day/Onesday), Jan 2 is jaj cha'DIch etc....
After 40 non-canon Klingon weeks, we'd have 5 days left in a non-leap
year that could be excluded from the Klingon week scheme.

Oh boy, though; calendar *reform* is a subject that there are *tomes*
written on....  I hope for Kling's sake that a Klingon year has maybe 243
jajmey or 324 or 405 or a good multiple of 3/9/27/81 in it.  It would
really tie in with Okrand's ancient 3-counting system....  Particularly
if a 9-day weeklike unit exists.  Obquestion: If Marc Okrand were to set
down a length of the Klingon year/day type material, would it be canon to
Paramount?  Probably, since I doubt there would ever be a need for it in
a script....  Maybe MO would sanction a 27 (3^3) Klingon hours = 1 jaj, 9
jaj = 1 Klingon week, 3 Klingon weeks = 1 Klingon month, 3 Klingon months
= 1 Klingon season, 3 Klingon seasons = 1 Klingon year scheme?

Dave.

Back to archive top level