tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 08:39:18 1995

Re: Callendar software -- for Klingons

>Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 14:02:39 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Steve Weaver)

>Tue, 16 May 1995 13:18:22 -0400 ghItlh Matt Gomes:

>>  Okay... now... what is jaj wa'DIch?  Sunday or Monday?  That's why I'm saying
>>this is not as easy as it seems...
>>
>>  Some of us (working stiffs) think that Monday is the "first day" and those
>>Christians among us have an arguement that Sunday is the "first day"... I'm
>>sure
>>there are more...

>mmmm.... Sun-day and Moon-day are the sixth and seventh day of the calends.
>Mars-day is the first (mardi) followed by mercury (mercredi), jupiter
>(jeudi), venus (vendredi) and saturn (samedi). Pardon my French, but I
>haven't had enough sleep to parse Latin.

Welsh is strictly astronomical in its day-names: Dydd Sul, Dydd Llun, Dydd
Mawrth, Dydd Mercher, Dydd Iau, Dydd Gwener, Dydd Sadwrn.  But that doesn't
indicate much/anything here.

>Let's keep Monday as {jaj wa'DIch}, and January as {jar wa'DIch}. What the
>tlhInganpu' use for the calends ... well, I'd like to know too.

FWIW, the day-names in modenr Hebrew, as used in formal and informal
registers (there *are* no other day-names) translate as: First Day, Second
Day, Third Day, Fourth Day, Fifth Day, Sixth Day, and Sabbath (OK, in
writing and occasional speech you might find Day A, Day B, Day C...).
Sunday is First Day.  But that doesn't prove anything either.

~mark

Back to archive top level