tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 15 05:20:22 1995

Re: Grilka?

On Mon, 15 May 1995, Bryan Fields wrote:
> >I'd think it would be more like {ghIlqa'}.

> It's been a while and I wrote before I thought.  HIvqa' veqlargh.
> But . . there was _definitly_ and <r> in there. How about {ghrIlqa'}?

We have no evidence for ANY syllables beginning with two consonants.
There are a few instances of syllables ending with two consonants, but
these are limited to just a few combinations: {w'}, {y'}, & {rgh}.  Let me
stress again, these are only at the end of a syllable.  In addition to
that, humans sometimes hear {gh} as <gr>.  These two facts lead me to
stand by charghwI''s and my guess of:     ghIlqa'

If you insist on putting the <r> in there, that is not actually wrong.
The name may actually be from another 'dialect'.  And that would
certainly explain why you are having so much trouble writing it with the
orthography of this 'dialect'.

janSIy

"Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads"
                            -They Might Be Giants

Back to archive top level