tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 12 14:37:28 1995

unsubscribing, or ** DO NOT READ ME **

Dear Sir:

I received your email entitled "*** README ***" which you posted to
the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list. Since I have attempted several times,
with no success, to unsubscribe from that particular mailer, I was
delighted to find such clear and unequivocable instructions on how
to do so. I immediately did as instructed, and heaved a sigh of
relief, content that I had finally managed to remove my name from
what I have come to regard as "the mailer from Hell".

You can therefore imagine my chagrin, when only moments later, I
recieved a message from [email protected] whose content was to the
effect that I could not unsubscribe, because I am not, in fact,
a legitimate member of the list. I found this to be puzzling, and,
thinking that I may have somehow misunderstood the instructions,
attempted, once again, to unsubscribe. This time, however, rather
than trusting to my own meager typing skills, I "cut and pasted"
the purported unsubscribe message directly from your original
missive. Once again, this effort was followed almost immediatly
by receipt of a message attesting to my non-existence vis-a-vis
this particular mailer.

Shortly after the preceding event, seemingly during the period
during which I had chosen to take my lunch-time break, it seems
that I was once more the recipient of a message that was posted
to the regular tlhIgnan-Hol mailing list.

These events lead me to believe that, despite following the specified
instructions as faithfully as possible, I have once more failed to
extricate myself from the insidious clutches of your relentless
list.

Furthermore, I am confronted with a conundrum: If I have
indeed performed the actions that you purport will produce the
desired result, and yet that result has not occurred, it may
be that I, and others like me, am not, as you so tactfully put it,
a "dolt", but that (and I hope that you appreciate my reticence
in making such a suggestion, but it does, somehow, seem to be
warranted) you (please do not take this personally, and feel free
to except yourself should you feel that the implication does
not, in actuality, apply) don't know what you're talking about?
Could it be that I, and possibly others, are participants in some
exceptional condition that invalidates your proposed solution?
And that perhaps we deserve not your scorn, but your aid in
extricating ourselves from a difficult and uncomfortable
situation?

But no. Compelling as the evidence is for this conclusion, I must
cast it aside, because I have your heartfelt assurance that this
could not be the case, and since you assert that you are a thoroughly
knowledgable individual, it would be presumptuous to question your veracity.
I can therefore only cringe before my own inadequacy, and resolve to
bear more bravely the burden and torment that I have brought upon
myself by once having had the temerity to request inclusion in your
august distribution list.

I remain, therefore,
your humble servant and accused fool,

Clark