tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 12 06:30:55 1995

Re: Suggestions for animation on the trefoil screen saver?

According to Matt Gomes:

> : mu'tlhegh Dachupbogh HIja'. "Tell me the sentence that you
> : recommend."
>
> MM!  Much nicer!
>
> So this would "literally" translate to "The sentence that you recommend.  Tell me!"
> Right?

Well, yes and no. More accurately, no. The form that you are
expressing in your literal translation is the "sentence as
object" format becomes a direct quote when applied to a verb of
speech. Instead of "The sentence that you recommend. Tell me!"
it would have been <<Tell me, "The sentence that you
recommend.">> No. I didn't want this to be a quote at all.

This is not unlike the bad joke, "Call me a doctor!" "Okay.
You're a doctor." The verb can two meanings. "Call" can either
mean to hail or to name. {ja'} can have as its object either
the thing that you tell (mu'tlhegh) or the literal quote of
what you tell.

In this case, I wanted {mu'tlhegh} to be a noun used as a
direct object. "Tell me the sentence that you recommend!"

> Just have to learn how to THINK like a Klingon to recast!

Yes. The other part of it is that you need to gain skill with a
broad enough set of Klingon grammar tools that you can tell
which one to reach for when the one you are trying to use
doesn't work very well. This comes in time, and it comes more
quickly when you try to write, especially to this list, since
it is such a good forum for feedback.

> qatlho'
>
> : charghwI'
>
> -majIq