tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 14:59:17 1995

Re: Suggestions for animation on the trefoil screen saver?

: > toH!  Dochvetlh 'IH!
:
: If you wanted that to be a sentence, it should have been {'IH
: Dochvetlh!} When such a verb follows a noun, it acts like an
: adjective in what then is usually a larger sentence, like
: {Dochvetlh 'IH vIchup.} "I recommend this beautiful thing." If,
: instead, you want to say, "This thing is beautiful," you need
: {'IH Dochvetlh!}

toH!  bIlugh... HIvqa' veqlargh! *smack*

: > nuq bIchup mu'tlhegh?  (Is this right?)
:
: This is DEFINITELY confused. Don't be discouraged. Just look at

Yeah... TELL me about it!

: If you want to ask, "What sentence do you recommend?" we hit an
: awkward void in the question words given by Okrand. Notice that
: here, in English, "what" is acting like an adjective, not a
: noun, and it would REALLY be better stated as "which". Okrand
: doesn't give us a word for "which".

I noticed that... that's why I tried to recast (and failed miserably).

: mu'tlhegh Dachupbogh HIja'. "Tell me the sentence that you
: recommend."

MM!  Much nicer!

So this would "literally" translate to "The sentence that you recommend.  Tell me!"
Right?

Just have to learn how to THINK like a Klingon to recast!

qatlho'

: charghwI'

-majIq

Back to archive top level