tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 06:59:17 1995

*** READ ME ***

Okay folks, here's the scoop on how to unsubscribe. This is for all the
dolts who can't read the instructions when they join the list, and don't
bother paying any attention to any of the other "How do I unsubscribe"
answers.

Apologies in advance to anyone who needs this that doesn't fit into the
"dolt" catagory.

Unsubscribing is _easy_, about half a dozen people subscribe or
unsubscribe from the list every day. Don't tell me that the server doesn't
work -- In _every_ case I've had a complaint, it's inevitably been because
someone can't follow instructions.

It works like this: Send a message to [email protected].

Let me repeat that.

SEND A MESSAGE TO [email protected]

and let me follow that up with:

DON'T SEND A MESSAGE TO [email protected]

Now, in this message, leave a BLANK or ARBITRARY SUBJECT. DO NOT put your
request to subscribe or unsubscribe in the subject.

To repeat:

DO NOT PUT YOUR REQUEST IN THE SUBJECT.

In the body of the message, put the following line:

unsubscribe tlhIngan-Hol

Don't say PLEASE, or anything else. Put the above line, exactly as it
appears.

Send the message. If, for some reason (like, you were sending from the
wrong email address) the system was unable to unsubscribe you, then you
email me, [email protected]. DO NOT SEND UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE
LIST! My [email protected] address is given as the address to report
problems to in _EACH_ and _EVERY_ error message that the listserver
returns.

It's that easy. And now that I've posted this, I don't expect to ever have
to answer another question about unsubscribing. I want _everyone_ on this
list to save a copy of this message, because you may not need it now, but
EVENTUALLY you're gonna want to know how to get off, and if you don't know
how to use a listserver, it's gonna be a handy thing to have.

				*****

Whip's commentary on Whip's commentary:

I make it a specific point to _ignore_ requests sent to the list asking to
be unsubscribed, even if I -do- happen to notice them (I don't typically
read the lis). If I get complaints about you spamming the list with garbage,
I will simply set the list so that your messages are ignored.

Unreasonable? Maybe.

About as unreasonable as asking people to read the instructions.

				*****

Followups, comments, and flames to me PRIVATELY, please. [email protected]

									-WW

Back to archive top level