tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 01:01:05 1995

Re: What did she say?

> Again, I say: beware of trying to read meanings into words Okrand left
> meaningless.

Okrand tells us that if we spend time with Klingons, we will hear
the curses often enough for the context to make their meaning quite
clear. So - how about watching more Trek? If there's any consistency
it's likely coincidental but that's irrelevant. This is all the
insulting "Klingon" stuff I found from The Encyclopedia:

baktag   (petaQ?)   [Redemption II]
pahtk    (petaQ?)   [The Defector, Sins of the Father, Reunion]
tohzah   (toDSaH)   [The Defector]
yIntagh             [Redemption I]
Ha'DIbah (Ha'DIbaH) [Sins of the Father, Reunion, ST3]

I haven't seen all those episodes and can't remember any of the
situations when they were used. If someone does, I'd be delighted to
hear about it.

I remember just one line: "You speak the lies of a {taHqeq}!", said to
Picard by a Klingon officer who wasn't convinced that the Federation
isn't supplying weapons to rebels - or something like that. I think the
episode was "The Mind's Eye".

Here's my analysis: On CK, {taHqeq} is said to be a "classic insult".
Also, {taHqeq} tells lies. When Worf's son was caught lying, he told
him of Kahless fighting Morath for twelve days and nights because he had
told a lie, then emphasized him the meaning of honor. I'd understand
{taHqeq} as "person with no honor", or "one who cannot be trusted".
Whatever it is, it must be a hard one on one's honor.

 .:ghor:.

Back to archive top level