tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 10 14:05:15 1995

Re: RE:What did she say?

>Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 23:41:42 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

>According to Mark E. Shoulson:
>>
>> ... But bear in mind that "petaQ" here isn't the same as
>> the sentence "You are strange", ...

>> ~mark

>Okay, this is twice that I've seen this translated as "You are
>strange." {pe-} is the imperative plural, so this would be a
>command you would give to a group of at least two people: "Be
>strange!"

>It's not very often I get to correct ~mark. I am honored by
>this opportunity and hope he finds no dishonor in it.

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

Hee.  I *knew* it was imperative when I read it... but for some reason the
English translation didn't register as not imperative.  I think I was
assuming the author (r'Hul) knew what she was saying and didn't think it
through.  Oops. (NOTE, this is not intended to disparage r'Hul, more like I
trusted her so much I didn't bother parsing her statement.)

~mark

Back to archive top level