tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 09 09:42:32 1995

Re: my rendered trefoil

[email protected] (Jim Boniface) writes:
\  Thank you too!  The easiest way to convert it is with like LVIEW or
\ something, if you're using windoze (like me) convert it to a .BMP and put it
\ in your windows directory, then in control panel, open the desktop icon. and
\ change the wallpaper setting to whatever you named the picture.

In case there are any folks out there who are using UNIX and X and don't
know how to do this already - you, too, can make this nifty picture your
background ("root") image.  The easiest method requires "xv", a nifty
shareware program that is available any number of places and is well worth
the $25 registration fee.  Chances are pretty good that it's already installed
on your system.  If so, you can install the background image by putting
the following command in your .xinitrc or .xsession file, whichever one you
have, somewhere *before* the last command line in that file:

	xv -root -quit -rmode 5 /path/to/image/file &

where "/path/to/image/file" is the full pathname of the image file.  The file
can be either GIF or JPEG, or for that matter BMP, XPM, PPM, etc - XV will
figure it out.  I recommend JPEG, since it will take up the least disk space
that way - BMPs are huge, GIFs are in between.

-marqoS

P.S.:  majqa'!  I, too, am quite impressed with the image.
--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level