tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 08 11:43:14 1995

Re: non-Klingon words (was Re: peH)

>Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 09:36:19 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Alan Anderson                        <[email protected]>

>[email protected] writes:
>> yID jIH je
>  ^^^
>> 'IvrI' vIjatlhlaH je ...
>  ^^^^^^
>I've used Krankor's {*yID} pun myself, but I marked it as a "borrowed"
>word. (By the way, I believe he intended it as a verb.)

He did, and he also very much intended it as a joke, not as an actual
addition to the language or even a nonce-word.  For the story again:

Krankor and I were at the famous party in Seattle.  Famous because it was
mentioned in the article in Time magazine.  Krankor had actually shown up
at the restaurant in full Klingon costume, having flown in dressed like
that all the way from Boston.  When we told the maitre d' that we were
waiting for some people, we just said "you'll know them when they get
here."  Well, he did.  Krankor (as opposed to his human alter-ego), you may
know, speaks no English, only Klingon.  So we had to translate for him
("we" being the other Klingon-speakers at the table, mainly me and DrujIv).
This was fun in itself, with the waitress deliberately asking questions he
couldn't answer simply with yes or no and nodding his head appropriately.
Plainly she was enjoying this too.  At any rate, at one point I gave him a
present my wife had made (and I had designed) for him: a yarmulka
(skull-cap worn by Jewish men) crocheted with the Klingon trefoil and his
name in pIqaD (I now have one with my name too) (Krankor is Jewish by
birth but not conviction; I on the other hand wear a skullcap all the
time).  The good captain enjoyed the gift a great deal.  He put it on his
bewigged, beforeheaded head and said "DaH jIyID!"  I laughed so hard I hit
my head on the table and cut my forehead open.  So now I can truthfully say
that I have been in a conversation with Klingons and have a scar to prove
it.

>I expect that the majority of
>the list's members don't recognize {*'IvrI'} as the approximate
>pronunciation of the Hebrew word for "Hebrew".

Very , very true.  Especially since the Hebrew word for "Hebrew" (as the
name of the language, and not a person) is pronounced more like "'IvrIt"
with a t at the end.

~mark

Back to archive top level