tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 05 12:29:43 1995

Re: "too many"

According to Alan Anderson:

> charghwI' ja':
> > jabbI'IDmey yapqu' vIHev.
> > [...]
> > Looking at a verb like {yap}, to make it "very" is not very
> > useful compared to making it "too".
>
> Well, {-qu'} doesn't necessarily mean "very" anyway.  It is defined as
> "emphatic."  TKD 4.3 says "This suffix emphasizes or affirms whatever
> immediately precedes it."

I'm trying to remember the specific example that convinced me
that {-qu'} also meant "too". I think it is from one of the
audiotapes later than I have thus far transcribed, so my
searches don't tend to find it. The last two examples in your
quoted 4.3 translate as "very", so I'm rather confident of
that. Also, a much repeated sentence (TKD page 170, and the
intro to Conversational Klingon and the Klingon Bird-of-Prey
Halodome (complete with sparkles when you shake it and digital
sound chip when you push the button):

tujqu'choH QuQ [The engine is overheating. (example on page
170)]

Here, the engine is becoming too hot. Still, another even
better example eludes me. I'll have to look this weekend...

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'
--

 \___