tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 04 06:30:28 1995

Re: "too many"

charghwI' ja':
> jabbI'IDmey yapqu' vIHev.
> [...]
> Looking at a verb like {yap}, to make it "very" is not very
> useful compared to making it "too".

Well, {-qu'} doesn't necessarily mean "very" anyway.  It is defined as
"emphatic."  TKD 4.3 says "This suffix emphasizes or affirms whatever
immediately precedes it."  The phrase "emphatically sufficient" doesn't
evoke the idea of "excessive" to me.  It more closely suggests the word
"plenty" with a connotation of "more than enough to go around".  Unless
someone can convince me otherwise, I'm going to assume there's a verb
for "be excessive" that I don't yet know.  I'll work around my ignorance
with my convoluted {Dotlh tu'lu'bogh law' law' yapbogh Dotlh law' puS}
until I find something I like better.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level