tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 02 17:15:54 1995

Re: KLBC: Present tense of verbs

On Tue, 2 May 1995, Bryce Platt wrote:
> While most verbs have as part of their translation some form of the verb "to
> be" (I 'am' writing, he 'is' sitting, whatever), what is the thlIngan Hol
> word for the infintive "to be"? I don't find this in the TKD (2ed.)

I'm not the BG, but these barely even verge on grammar questions.  And
since I'm here...

For the answer to the above question, read TKD, sec. 6.3, p. 67-8.

> how else is Hamlet to make his infamous declaration of existance? Somehow
>    (yIn, yInbe' qoj)
> doesn't seem adequate enough.)

In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country it was quoted as
     taH pagh taHbe'
If you ask me, that comes a lot closer to what the English means anyway.
(For the verb taH, make sure to check the addendum.)

> Also, did Okrand *really* mean to make the pairs of conjunctions mirror
> images of each other (je 'ej   joq qoj )?

If it's too obvious to be an accident, it isn't one.  Very VERY little of
what you find in TKD was unintentional.  Look carefully, for instance, at
the first entry on p. 84.

janSIy
"Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads."
                               -They Might be Giants

Back to archive top level