tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 02 04:31:48 1995

Re: KLBC: Comparatives

> > I don't have an example at hand, but consider the case it
> > makes a difference whether both SOCs refer to the main
> > clause or whether (SOC1 MC) functions as MC to SOC2.
> > How would these two be distinguished?
>
> The follow text appears on Skybox Trading Card SP1.  The card is entitled
> {Qo'noS wo'} and it talks about the symbol of the Klingon Empire.  The
> third sentence is an example of a sentence with three subordinate clauses.

phew! I'll try to translate this before I go on...

> tlhIngan wo' Degh 'oH Deghvam'e'

(This symbol is the symbol of the empire of the Klingons)

> tlhIngan Dujmey law'qu' SommeyDaq batlh cha'lu'

(It is honorably displayed on the hulls of very many vessels of the Klingons.)

> juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'

While the Klingons were traveling into space from the homeworld Qo'noS...
(this is an apposition [Qo'noS, I mean], qar'a')

> 'ej qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH

...and while they were conquering various realms...

> Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb nganpu'

...everywhere, as soon as the inhabitants of the galaxy merely saw
a battle cruiser of the Klingons, ...
(Dat used as an adverb?)

> buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH

...the battle cruiser had threatened them and it had scared them.

> nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam

(This symbol had also scared them on its own.)

Hmm... must have gone something wrong :(
At least I don't see how this answers my question...
Or do you want to say you join SOCs with the same
MC by conjunctions, while those which are not
joined belong to different tiers?

> yoDtargh

			Marc Doychlangan

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany