tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 19:47:25 1995

Re: KLBC: Present tense of verbs

On Mon, 1 May 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:

> yoDtargh writes:
> > I could say {wa'leS bImuj vIjalth} (Tomorrow, I will say to him that he
> > is wrong.)
>
> I read this as "I say to him that tomorrow he will be wrong."  The temporal
> of one sentence has no business being in the other.  As you point out later,

Good point.  I think you are right: it should be {bImuj wa'leS vIjalth}.

> > The two sentences are simply joined together as one, in either
> > order.  (Sec. 6.2.6.)  You could also say {wa'leS jIjalth bImuj}.
>
> While this is certainly correct, I prefer the quote first.  It's strictly a
> matter of style, but it "feels" better to have the speaking verb last.
> (I seem to be disagreeing with you a lot lately.  It's nothing personal!)

It seems more "natural" that way to me as well, but as TKD indicates, you
can use either order.

As for you disagreeing with me. qay'be'.  It's good that folks are
keeping an eye on me.  It keeps me honest and it keeps me from perpetuating
an erroneous assumption.  Frankly, some of the questions I've received
lately pertain to topics I had not given much thought about previously;
and figuring out how to say something in Klingon that I've never
actually translated before is a learning process for me too.

ghunchu'wI' > >

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level