tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 12:09:15 1995

Re: Spring Issue of HolQeD

>Date: Sat, 29 Apr 1995 23:25:53 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>   Dear 'Netters:
>	   1. jIH po' law SoH po' puS.  My judgement is that this should be
>jIpo' law' bIpo' puS.  Stative verbs can only be used as adjectives when
>they modify *nouns* (TKD 4.4) not to modify *pronouns*.  jIH and SoH can in
>fact be used as nouns, but only under the conditions described in TKD 5.1
>page 52...only for emphasis or added clarity, which does not apply here.
>In TKD 6.6 page 71, we read "The verb of quality must be said twice.  jIpo'
>and bIpo' are both the same verb, even though the prefixeds are different
>and this requirement is satisfied.  Furthermore, it must be remembered that
>a stative verb is still a verb, not an adjective , even in a comparative
>construction and can be conjugated just like any other verb.  "I am an
>expert" is jIpo' *not* jIH po'.  And similiarly you are an expert is bIpo',
>*not* SoH po'.  I sincerely hope that if you have been using structures
>like this, you will rethink your strategy very carefully.

Just so you know, the way to do "I am more expert than you" was asked of
Mark Okrand himself, and "jIH po' law' SoH po' puS" was his answer.  So
while we all listen to your opinion on what feels right and wrong, we must
say that Okrand's word takes precedence over yours.  Sorry.

>	   Finally I would like to plead with everyone *not* to express a
>grammatical opinion about something until you have carefully considered
>whether your views are consistent with TKD, canon and Okrand's stated
>opinion.  Ultimately this is Okrand's language and it is futile to try to
>challenge his opinion.  I feel there is far too much shooting from the hip
>in this business.  Do you want HolQeD to be a serious publication or just
>another fanzine?  The choice is up to you.

What was that about glass houses? :)

   Glen Proechel
	   Please send any responses to [email protected]; or Box 281, Red Lake Falls, MN 56750.

~mark

Back to archive top level