tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 10:04:39 1995

Comparatives (was KLBC)

According to Alan Anderson:

> 'Iwvan wrote:
> > Of course, here the problem is a more general one: how to express the
> > extent of a comparison (`X is more A than Y by D').  Perhaps we should
> > find a description of a Terran language with Klingon-style comparatives
> > and see what it does.
> {jIH qan law' SoH qan puS.  nupImmoH cha' DIS.}
> "I am more old than you.  Two years cause us to be different."
> Or, "I am more old than you by two years."
> Or, "I am two years older than you."

Neat idea. What do you think of THIS expansion of it? I'm not
sure if this is good because it is more compressed or bad
because it is strange:

cha' DISmo' jIH qan law' SoH qan puS.

Because of two years, I am older than you. In other words, the
two years difference in our age is the cause of my being older.
Yeah, it is a strange twist, but it is a logical use of the
noun suffix {-mo'}, and if that is one of the tools you have in
a language, I could see an attraction toward using it in this
way.

What do others think?

> {Duj Hop law' yuQ Hop puS.  chuqmeyDaj pImmoH wejSanID qelI'qam.}

wejSanID qelI'qammo' Duj Hop law' yuQ Hop puS.

Because of 3,000 kelikams, the ship is farther away than the
planet.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'
--