tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 28 05:12:39 1995

Re: audio mail

"Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]> writes:
\ Hmm.  The sound-bites on the web site are in SUN .au format, since that's
\ far and away the most common format I saw on the web.  There's a program in
\ ftp://ftp.kli.org/pub/Software/ called WHAM that plays .au files on PC's.
\ Maybe that could be used?
\
\ ~mark

Sun .au format is exactly the format I described earlier - 8kHz, 8-bit
samples, mu-law encoded.  Suns were among the first UNIX workstations to
provide any audio capability, so .au files quickly sprung up all over the place,
and when the MIME developers needed to specify a minimal audio format, that's
what they used.

NeXT workstations will handle .au files automatically, as will, I believe,
HP-UX workstations.  And as ~mark states, WHAM will play them on a PC.  The SOX
utility will convert among virtually every audio format known to man; maybe it
would be a good idea to put a link to it up on the KLI site as well, for any
folks not covered by the above (Mac users spring to mind).

-marqoS
--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level