tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 28 02:06:59 1995

Re: audio mail

Hi,

It's not only SUN sparc stations that use .AU files, linux uses it too
(ofcourse in an effort to imitate a SPARCstation :), but there is a simple
utility program, called 'sox', which converts between almost all formats.
(and definitely WAV and AU). AU files are almost allways 8kHz, phone line
quality. The files are smaller, probably an important point when you have
to download and upload the files with modem. Converting the files to
your favorite format is really very easy, if I recall correctly,
only 'sox file.au file.wav' to convert AU file to WAV format.
Then there's the 'plany' (or 'wplany' under windows) that plays all
possible formats. Only recording is most easily done in WAV format under
windows. But all formats are quite easily exchanged, and you don't really
lose a lot of quality.

(I tried to do this in Klingon ofcourse, but I need to practise a little
more for that :)

tIqwI'

Back to archive top level