tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 03 20:03:23 1995

Re: jIwuq versus tIn jIH

On Fri, 3 Mar 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> When am I supposed to attach the indefinite nominative pronoun prefix to the
> stative verb?  And when am I supposed to use the stative verb plus a
> standalone nominative pronoun.
>
> So far in my limited study, I have seen only a partial pattern.  The prefix
> seems to be used more for temporal feelings.  Even without the suffix to the
> nominative pronoun, -taH, to indicate continuing status of the attributes
> applied by the stative verb, standalone stative verb plus standalone
> nominative pronoun constructions seem to indicate more of a lasting quality.
>  This is not to say the quality cannot change someday, viz. mach jIH.
>  Actually, tIn jIHtaH I have not encountered thus far.  So, perhaps there is
> no need according to Klingon grammar to indicate that the attributes are
> continuing for a lengthy time period.

Pronouns are only added to the verb for emphasis or added clarity.
Remember, the verb prefix must match the subject of the verb.  {mach jIH}
and {tIn jItaH} are not correct since the lack of a verb prefix indicates
the subject is he, she, it or they.  You would say {jImach} and {jItIntaH}
instead.  For the sake of clarity you would add the pronoun to distingish
{QIp ghaH} from {QIp chaH}.  You could also say {jImach jIH} or
{jItIntaH jIH} in which case the pronoun is used for added emphasis.

Klingon pronouns can also function as verbs, meaning "to be".  You
normally use this when the sentence has no other verb.  When a pronoun is
used as a verb, it can take verb suffixes:

tlhIngan ghaHbe'.  (He is not a Klingon.)
pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH.  (I remain in my room.)
romulusngan Duj 'oH'a'?  (Is it a Romulan ship?)

yoDtargh

P.S.  When are we going to get a new BG?  Is ~mark the BG pro tempore?

Back to archive top level