tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 01 15:24:42 1995

Re: Strange New World Book

>Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 07:03:04 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Wouter Slegers <[email protected]>

>< Rpger writes:
>< > I might add this spin to it... if you're going to learn a language, it
>< > might as well be done in the context of a project which will hold your
>< > interest. For many, the Bible is such a book.
><
>< This way, a Finn could open the Klingon bible, and a Suomi bible
>< side-by-side and begin learning Klingon without needing to know English....
><
>I beg to differ!
>The Klingon bible is translated from AN english version (a rather well
>known I believe), which is a translation of the original Greek (I
>hope).

Um, not entirely.  I, for one, translate the Bible from its original Hebrew
(not Greek; I'm doing the Hebrew Bible).  Nick Nicholas works from the
Greek.  Jonathan van Hoose (sp?) is also a Greek-speaker, and Kevin Wilson
has some familiarity in all the original languages of the Bible.  True, we
can't hope to find many people who can manage ancient tongues *and*
Klingon, so I understand Kevin is recommending that a particular well-known
English version be used (probably a Finnish one or whatever could be used
by a Finnish translator... if we had any)... but the editors (listed above)
all get final looks, and we can read the original.

I don't have much faith in translations of translations either.

~mark

Back to archive top level