tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 30 15:39:53 1995

Re: }} yoD Hov'a'

Sun, 30 Jul 1995, ghItlh ghunchu'wI':

> ghItlh tlheghmeQ:
> >Do' bIr *carwij ratlhmoH jan.
>
> I think {ratlh} "remain" should be used for the opposite of "go away".
> If you're trying to say the device kept your car cool, there's a large
> collection of suffixes to choose from.

Good point.  I agree with this definition of {ralth}.

> {Do' ~carwIj tujchoHbe'moH jan}
> "Luckily the device caused my car not to become hot."

maj.

> >cha' ghomey chen. cha' ghomey So' *nylon.
> >I know the third sentence is messed up; in that line I'm
> >trying to describe the thing as being made of two circles covered with
> >nylon.
>
> The device is made FROM two circles and not BY them, so {chen} "take form"
> is probably not the best word to use here.  {ghaj} "possess" or {ngaS}
> "contain" seem to be better.  Since the circles are "covered with" nylon,
> {Dech} "surround" might be useful.

Good choice.  I was looking for a suitable word meaning "to cover" or "to
envelop" or even "to be on the outside".  I had overlooked {Dech}.

> {cha' gho'e' Dechbogh ~nylon ghaj pemHov yoD}
> "The sun's shield has two circles which are surrounded by nylon."

> -- ghunchu'wI'

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level