tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 31 09:12:08 1995

Re: }} yoD Hov'a'

On Fri, 28 Jul 1995, R.B Franklin wrote:

> Fri, 28 Jul 1995, ghItlh tlheghmeQ:

> > yoD Hov'a' vIje'ta' 'e' tuj muDmo'.

> I've always preferred {pemHov}.  To me, {Hov'a'} sounds like a giant star,
> like a red giant.  I would also switch the word order and say {pemHov yoD}.
> You also need to leave out the {'e'}.

Ok, so that should be {pemHov yoD vIje'ta' tuj muDmo'}.

Can anyone suggest a way for me to understand/remember the way to order
two nouns? I've read section 3.4 over & over, but I still keep messing
that up.

> > Do' bIr *carwij ratlh moH jan.
>
> I think you mean {ralthmoH} instead of {ratlh moH}.  {moH} by itself
> means "ugly".

yup. What's Klingon for "type-o"?

I like ghunchu'wI''s suggestion, so I'll say
{Do' yavDujwIj tujchoHbe'moH jan}

> > cha' ghomey chen.

> That's a tricky one.  Since {chenmoH} means "to build or to make", I
> suspect {chen} may be intransitive.  I would probably say {chen cha'
> ghomey} or maybe {cha' ghomey ngaS}.  I'll have to give this further
> thought; off the top of my head, I can't think of a good way to say this.
>
> cha' ghomey So' *nylon.

ghunchu'wI' suggests:

{cha' gho'e' Dechbogh *nylon ghaj pemHov yoD.}

I took me a moment to figure out that {gho} doesn't need {-mey} since it
has {cha'}, but now I get it.

> Perhaps as an alternative to {So'} you could use {qat}.

{qat} is much better. I would have used it if I'd found it.

> > boch Dop wa'Dich. qIj Dop cha'DIch.

> maj.

I did something right! I did something right! I jump up and down, I skip
up and down the hall, I get strange looks, I clear my throat, sit down,
and look very serious.

> yavDujwIjDaq jan rap DaDelbogh vIlo'.  yavDuj qIj vIghaj.  wovDI'
> pemHov, tujqu'choH yavDujwIj.

(You use the same device I describe on your car. Your car is black.
Your car gets very hot as soon as the sun shines.) Am I right?

Peace and Long Life 'ej Qapla'
Liz (tlheghmeQ joq)

Back to archive top level