tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 30 13:51:26 1995

Re: }}} KSRP (was KBTP)

Sez Mark E. Shoulson:

> The German line is not totally false though, in a sense.  According to Nick
> Nicholas, Shakespeare is in a very real sense one of the most influential
> poets in *German* literature.  Not that he wrote in German, but apparently
> the German translations of Shakespeare were/are *fantastic* works in their
> own right, and had a profound effect on the development of German poetry
> and literature.  Nick, IIRC, has said that he's heard of bilingual
> German-speakers saying with a straight face that the German version is
> better than the original.

Mark, you have an excellent memory --- far better, in fact, than mine :-) .
AFAIR, what I know about German Hamlet I know from Esperanto (Zamenhof
used the German  text as his reference), and I can't for the life of me recall
the reference I got that information from (koennen unsere Deutsche Freunden
uns hilfen?), but it sounds like something I'd have said three or four years
ago, when the info was fresher in my brain. (I wonder what Klingon verb
stem displaced *that* neuron's contents? :-) ).

*    Nick Nicholas, Linguistics, University of Melbourne, Australia      *
[email protected]  http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~nsn/
*     [email protected]  [email protected]        *
*    "Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity of locutional rendering, the       *
  circumscriptional appelations are excised." --- W. Mann & S. Thompson,
* _Rhetorical Structure Theory: A Theory of Text Organisation_, 1987.    *

Back to archive top level