tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 27 01:33:06 1995

Re: }}} KKB: Another Kid's story

ghItlh Do'val:
> DaHjaj wejmaH targhmey vIjeylaHbej...

lutvam vIlaDpu'be'.
jImughtaHvIS jIHagh.
lut vImughpu'DI' be'nalwI'vaD cha' jupDajvaD je vIlaD.
Hagh je chaH.

May I point out some problems I encountered while translating it?

> yImev SoH, pob tIq ghaHbogh 'Iv

"You, STOP, who which he has long hair."
I think the {-bogh} takes care of what you're trying to say with {'Iv}.
I'd say {yImev pob tIq SoHbogh SoH'e'} "You who have long hair, STOP."

> jItaghpa', qevraj vImachqangmoH
"Before I begin, I make your crowd be willing to be small."
That's probably not what you meant, but that's the way I read the suffixes.
Maybe {jItaghpa' machchoHmeH qevraj jIvangqang} "Before I begin, I am
willing to act to cause your crowd to become small."

> juHrajDaq boghoS...
"You all proceed it to your house..."
When we use {ghoS}, we probably don't need {-Daq}, and if we DO use {-Daq}
we probably shouldn't use it as the object of {ghoS}.  So {juHraj boghoS}
seems better to me; or just maybe {juHrajDaq peghoS}.

> vaj QIbDaq SuleS tlhIH cha'
Shouldn't that be {peleS}?  Sounds like a command to me.

> toH, tugh DungluQ 'oH
"Well, soon noon it will be."
What "it" is that?  I'd say {tugh qaS DungluQ} "Soon noon will occur."

> naDev choloS
Sounds like another command, so {HIlos}.

> ...qet
No problem with grammar here, but is the lack of {-taH} intentional?  The
first line of the story says {yIttaH}, and the lack of symmetry bothers me.

I'm glad I never read the original story as a child (or to my child).  I
enjoyed watching the story unfold as I translated it.  It's too bad the
copyright is in the way; this is be an excellent children's story.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level