tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 25 17:25:29 1995

Re: }}} KKB: Another Kid's story

On Tue, 25 Jul 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> Unfortunately, I am fairly sure that all of Dr. Seuss's materials are still
> very much under copyright, and *NOT* in the public domain.  Oh well.
>
> Lawrence

How do copyright restrictions apply to translations of text?

I was about to ask the net this question but remembered I already have
that on my shelf.  Here's what The Copyright Handbook (2nd Edition) says:

The copyright owner has the exclusive right to prepare derivative works
based upon a copyrighted work [106(a)(2)].  A derivative work is a work
based upon one or more preexisting works.  A statutory definition
includes translations, condensations, abridgements, dramatizations,
motion picture versions, reproductions, and musical sound recordings [101].

Thus, if you want to translate works of Dr. Seuss and then publish them, you
will need to obtain permission from the copyright holder.

That does not preclude writing in the style of Dr. Seuss.  A very simple
rhyming style that might be a good starting point for those trying to
write Klingon poetry or rhyme.  A friend of mine did something similar
for a poetry class:

They're in my house when I'm not there.
Upon my floor, a mound of hair.
They use my phone, they do not care.
Those polar bears are everywhere.

The teacher didn't get it but I was laughing myself sick.

Kordite

Back to archive top level