tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 25 09:15:26 1995

Re: }}} KSRP (was KBTP)

Richard Kennaway writes:
 > ghunchu'wI' writes:
 > >I'll accept the fantasy that Shakespeare's writings are translations from
 > >the "original Klingon" for two reasons:  1) ST6 "The Undiscovered Country"
 > >claims that they are;
 >
 > Does it?  I didn't read General Chang as seriously claiming that, but
 > rather as suggesting that the Klingon version of Shakespeare amounts to an
 > independent, original work of literature (a reading with which the KSRP is
 > equally consistent).

Something that I like to consider regarding the KSRP (and that I am
utterly convinced the movie authors DID NOT think of)... In the Vonda
McIntyre book (Enterprise?) which tells of Kirk taking command of the
Enterprise, a team of vaudevillians is taken on a tour of the remote
outposts, as kind of a morale boost from Starfleet.  One of the
company is a pretentious old actor who "retells" Shakespeare (awfully)
in modern idiom.  At the end of the story, where Kirk and company have
(briefly) made peace with a group of Klingons, it turns out that the
Klingons are utterly DELIGHTED with the actor's version of Shakespeare
and take him off on a tour of the Empire.  It is, in my imagination, this
source that I like to think lead Chang et al to believe Shakespeare
was originally written in Klingon.

       *mIghtaHghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ! roj yInej 'ej  yItlha'*
     [email protected] |    GEnie:j.anderson71 | Prodigy: xseg61a
	    http://pages.prodigy.com/MN/xseg61a/mrklingon.html
                **** http://web.apertus.com/~joela/  ****

Back to archive top level