tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 29 11:11:28 1995

Re: About {pong}

charghwI'vo':
> According to HoD trI'Qal:
>
> [stuff about using the verb {pong}]
>
> > The only problem with charghwI's recasting is when the both the subject
> > and the object need to be explicity stated, as well as the name.  For
> > example, how would you say, "The warrior named his son qeylIS"?  Using
> > charghwI's method, you can't.  This way, you can:
> >
> > 	puqloDDajvaD qeylIS pongta' SuvwI'
> >
> > See what I mean?
> >

> > --tQ
> >

> I could also see this as how to express that a warrior, seeking
> to benefit his son in some symbolic way, named the country we
> now know as {qeylIS}. I'm only going to this ridiculous length
> to restate that what we have here is an unresolved problem that
> we need Okrand to address.

This is an example where we are talking about *context*.  Although I
could see how someone could read your translation into my example, I doubt
that  it would be a common mis-conception.  After all, if I wished to say
"The warrior named the land of qeylIS after his son", I would use something
like one of these:

	puHvaD puqloDDaj pong pongta' SuvwI'

	puqloDvaD qeylIS puH pongta' SuvwI'.
	(I really don't like this one, though.)

or, this is a *perfect* time for your -meH recasting:

	puH pongmeH SuvwI', puqloDDaj pong lo'ta'.

> He straightened out the {-ghach} problem and the comparatives
> using pronouns. He can straighten this out, too. I'd rather
> wait for him to do it rather than claim to have figured it out.

This is true:  he most certainly did.  On the other hand, I see this as a
perfectly *natural* way to handle this construction.  If you pardon the
pun, it is using -vaD the way it was intended for... and, if I recall,
Okrand once took an idea we came up with for a solution to one of the
problems we had ("with"/tlhejtaHvIS?)...?

Of course, he may have come up with that on his own...

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level