tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 16 06:58:34 1995

Re: nuqneH

According to Ville Heikkila:

> Hello humans.
>
> What's the idea in using "nuqneH" as a greeting in the beginning of all
> the articles? I think it doesn't fit there wery well...

The only other greeting that I've seen commonly used is
qajatlh, which makes sense as ,"I'm talking to YOU." I see
nuqneH as more appropriate for what you say to someone when you
see them standing closer to you than you like without there
being some sort of interaction. Meanwhile, qajatlh works better
when you want an interaction from someone else.

In the second condition, it is also quite proper to just ignore
any human urge to open the channel and just start out stating
your business. In fact, it is MORE proper and less suspicious.
If you just state your business, it will feel less to a Klingon
like you are just distracting him so your friends can sneak up
on him from behind.

> viznut
> ---

charghwI'