tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 13 14:52:27 1995

Re: KLBC How is this?

According to achghuQ the Klingon Warrior:

> 	nuqneH,
> 	 I was practicing the other day, and came up with this. I would be
> very thankful if someone could check them for grammar:
>

> 		muleSpu' lom.

"The corpse has relaxed me."?

>                 muleghpu' 'oH.

"It has seen me."

>                 muleghpu' neH!

"It has merely seen me." If you wanted to say, "Only it has
seen me," then you needed to include the {'oH} placed before
{neH}, since {neH} has a different meaning when it follows a
verb (only; merely) than it does when it follows a noun (only;
exclusively).

>                 mulegh 'oH 'e' vIchaw'laHbe'!

"I cannot allow that it sees me."

>                 vaj 'oH vIHoH rIntaH.

"So, I have killed it."

> 	I have some questions also. In the last line, is it all right that I
> switched from using the -pu' to using rIntaH?

There's no grammatical reason I can think of that you can't do
this. I generally dislike {rIntaH}, since it seems like an
oddity within the structure of the language and exists exactly
once in canon, during a line which was spoken in English, then
dubbed into Klingon. In all likelihood, {rIntaH} was created in
order to give Valkris sounds to make while her lips were moving
because the English line had more syllables in it than the
Klingon normally would have.

Still, {rIntaH} is there, in canon and TKD and is perfectly
legal to use. Your use of it fits the prescription for its use
in TKD, so it is perfectly valid.

> Is the -laHbe' ok for 'could'nt'?

Well, it works for "can't" and if the context sets the tense
for past, it would work for "couldn't". If not, and you want
that sense of "I am now speaking within a time structure
following the time when I was unable to do this," then
{-laHbe'pu'} might be preferable.

> Should I have used laHHa'? Thank you for all of your help.

{Ha'} must always follow the verb root, preceeding any
suffixes, so you can't say {-laHHa'}. {-laHbe'} works fine.

> 				Qapla'
>                                    achghuQ

charghwI'
--