tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 04 14:22:09 1995

Re: Learning Klingon in the North of Sweden

>Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 22:54:01 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Craig Kraft)

Just to give a teeny bit more info than theprevious poster provided...

>At 07:05 PM 1/3/95 -0500, JOHAN BERGLUND wrote:
>>Hello,
>>We are a bunch (about 10) of persons who are intrested in learning
>>klingon. We have some questions:
>>
>>* How difficult is it to learn?

Sorry, that one I can't answer.  Different people learn differently.  I've
had little trouble, but I know people who have been trying for years and
still make the same dumb mistakes.  It's a lot unlike most languages, but
on the other hand it's quite regular.

>>* How can we get books or something like that?

The Klingon Language Institute can supply copies of The Klingon Dictionary
and the audio tapes to people living outside of the USA (lucky you) at
cost.  Get in touch with Dr. Lawrence Schoen ([email protected]) via email
and/or regular mail (at P.O. Box 634 / Flourtown, PA 19031-0634 USA); I
think they cost US$12 each.  Lawrence has probably already responded,
knowing him... :-)

>>* Which books are good to start with?

There is only the dictionary.  You may want to try the KLI's Postal Course,
though with international mail that may not be convenient.

>>* Is there anyone in Sweden who speak Klingon?

Couldn't say, though Lawrence would have a list of KLI members.

>>* How can we be members of the KLI?

Whenever you start to think about how to do *anything* desirable (lose
weight, cure warts, end world hunger, win the lottery), one answer should
immediately spring to mind: by giving the KLI money.  Contact Dr. Schoen
(as above) for the exact rates and all.  I *strongly* recommend you join
the KLI if you want to study Klingon.  It's really where it's all
happening.  The KLI's ftp suite at / will certainly help
point you in the right direction.

>The Klingon Dictionary is an excellent resource as well as the audio tapes and
>a visit to the Klingon Language Institute (hhtp://www.kli.org) will also
>provide more resources to you in your quest. Now why they are trying to
>translate the terran bible into Klingon I'll never know for it has no place
>in Klingon mythology as related to star trek's vision of Klingons

Oh, that's easy.  Historical reasons!  The Bible is a really famous
text---probably the most famous text in Western culture, and possibly *any*
culture (on the whole).  It's traditionally the thing you wind up
translating into any new language you come across (OK, granted, that
started because of missionary activity, and believe me, that is *NOT* the
goal of the Klingon project).  'Sides, it makes for good press.  You were
wondering, right?  If you're struck by it, you must be thinking about it.
If you're thinking about it, you're thinking about Klingon.  And that's
likely to help us...

~mark

Back to archive top level