tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 28 12:30:57 1995

Re: Calendar Ideas

>Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 22:20:05 -0800
>From: [email protected]

>{'ar jaj ghaj jarvam net Sovbe'} I think should be {jarvam jajmey mI' Sovbe'
>vay'}.  I do see two points in your rendition about which I comment:  1)
> {'ar} follows the Noun about which it asks the amount; and, 2) as far as
>discussion on this listserv has shown, all the Klingon question words may not
>be used as relative pronouns.

Hmm.  It is not known how or if question words can be used as relative
pronouns with any certainty, however if you recall just a few weeks ago I
posted how I and some others tentatively *do* support using them as such,
effectively, though not in theory.

>Therefore, we cannot say {nuq Damuch 'e' vIlegh}' rather we say something
>like {Doch Damuchbogh Dochvetlh vIlegh}.

That is, I *would* accept "nuq Damuch 'e' vIlegh", not because "what"
functions the same way, but as a *pair* of sentences: "what do you present?
I see that." See /tlhIngan-Hol/1995/Oct95/0024.html for
the archive of the letter in which I explained this.  Please take a look.

~mark

Back to archive top level