tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 22 08:13:51 1995

Re: You see why I'm worried!

>Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 18:55:24 -0800
>From: "David Wood"  <[email protected]>

>= David Wood writes:
>= >(nItlhDu'Daj [to cross]...)
>= >chaq molwijDaq ngaSwi' gharghmey vitu'.
>= No, this says "container worms" again.

>This time, it was supposed to; since I created a new kind of worm, it might as
>well be interred with me. Trust me; I'm not that stupid, though my repeated
>posts here clearly indicate that at least 51% of my brain isn't working...

Yeah; I figured that out... After all, in a grave/container, one can find
container-worms.  :)

>= >...would THIS be syntactically correct? -->
>= >lI'ghach botemnIsbe' Hoch SoH je.
>= >         ^^-- (prefix for y'all/it)
>= "All and you ('even you') don't need to deny... usefulness?"

>Aaaaaaaaaaaagh! Somebody shoot me! Somebody shoot me NOW! I meant to use the
>suffix -laH! I don't know how the -nIs got in there! (Maybe I AM getting that
>stupid...)
>I was trying to say "Even you _can't_ deny its usefulness." I can't find a
>suffix for "its," so you version would probably work better anyway.

The suffix for "its" is "-Daj"... but watch it.  There's a more KLingonish
way to say this.  Don't think nouns; think verbs.  "Its usefulness" is just
an English shorthand for "that it is useful".  So why not:

lI' ['oH] 'e' botemlaHbe'.

~mark

Back to archive top level