tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 19 10:23:21 1995

Klingonit (Klingon & Hebrew)

~mark wrote:
 I realize that it would make sense to have different words
>in Klingon for "knowing a fact" and "knowing a person" (cf. Spanish,
>Hebrew, French, etc, etc).
Well, sort of, about the Hebrew. "Lada'at" *can* be used about a person as
well as a fact, but not in mixed company.

And more about Klingon & Hebrew...

>Indeed.  But we have no evidence that Klingon necessarily divides up the
>concepts any differently than English does.  Why is it so impossible that
>Klingon conflates "to dwell"/lagur with "to live"/lichyot?  It's not like
>other languages don't do it.  English does the same thing!
But there are other verbs which qualify the living. How would I say in
Klingon "I reside in Bracha, but I live in cyberspace"?
*Bracha*Daq jIyIn jIH 'ach *cyberspace* jIyIntaH jIH?
or maybe
*Bracha*Daq jIyIn jIH 'ach *cyberspace* jIyInqu' jIH?
In the English I can get the difference between physically being in a
location (perhaps temporarily, but I won't get into politics here) and a
*life* in another location (which will continue as long as there is a net
provider in this country). How would I do this in Klingon? My first attempt
gets the temporary/permanency bit, the second the fullness and richness of
experience, but how do I do both, and is there no change of verb possible to
express both, as in the English (and the Hebrew "Ani gara b'Bracha, aval ani
chaya b'ciberspace")?

Doq

Back to archive top level