tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 17 22:19:35 1995

Re: qaqIHneS !

>Here's another of the rare cases where Klingon must use a noun to express
>what an English verb means.  Try {"Indiana"Daq 'oH juHwIj'e'}.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

I really like the construction you just suggested.

However, I will point out what I find to still be a possible error.  You
consistently leave {-taH} off the copulative {'oH}, etc.  Should your
sentence read {*Indiana*Daq 'oHtaH juHwIj'e'}?   RE:  TKD p27, Sec. 3.3.5.
 This tells me that Klingon apparently cannot have a person or thing,
referred to by a personal pronoun, at a place for only a critical moment.
 The person or thing must continue to be at the location, even for a short
span of time.  On the other hand, the Appendix has entries:  {nuqDaq 'oH Qe'
QaQ'e} and {nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'}.  While I cannot argue against existing
facts, I feel that a person or thing needs to continue to be at a location;
so, I add {-taH} to the personal pronouns when the sentence contains a
locative clause.

Perhaps {'oH} and {bIH} do not need {-taH}, while pronouns referring to
sentient beings do?

BTW, you're doing an excellent job of BG.

peHruS

Back to archive top level