tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 15 17:13:34 1995

Re: {-meH} and {Sov} (was Re: KLBC: starting right back...)

qaSDI' Hovjaj 95951.1 ghItlh HomDoq:

>On the other hand, the first one may be (according
>to 6.2.4.) "She knows (the procedure to fix the engine)."
>(the second correspondingly). I've never been very
>comfortable with this usage of {-meH}. In order to
>construct the meanings yoDtargh has given above, and
>which I questioned, would one use sth. like
>{mIw jonta' tI'meH Sov}?

Can anyone cite an canon (I'm beginning to hate that word) example of using
{-meH} with {Sov}?  I think the usage is perfectly valid, and the problem
HomDoq is having is due to thinking too much in English (or whatever his
native language may be).  HomDoq, I read your sentence as "In order to repair
the procedure's engine, he knows."  This makes no sense to me.  Perhaps to a
native Klingon speaker, {jonta' tI'meH mIw Sov} is perfectly valid.

SuStel
Hovjaj 95953.2

Back to archive top level