tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 15 06:21:32 1995

Re: {-meH} and {Sov} (was Re: KLBC: starting right back...)

ghItlh yoDtargh:
> jonta' tI'meH mIw Sov.  (In order to fix the engine, she knows the
>                          procedure.)
> vaS'a' ghoSlu'meH He vISov.  (In order for one to go towards the
>                               Great Hall, I know the route.)

I think these make more sense if the purpose clause is translated as
applying to the noun ("procedure" or "route") instead of the verb
("know"): "She knows the procedure-in-order-to-fix-the-engine," and
"I know the route-in-order-for-one-to-approach-the-great-hall."

ghItlh tlheghmeQ:
>I may be getting in over my head here, but *I* would just say:
>jonta' tI'laH.            She can fix the engine.
>vaS'a' vItu'laH.          I can find the Great Hall.
>I know that sorta skips over the HOW part, but do you really need it?

Good idea!  I can think of cases where the distinction is important,
though.  For example, I know HOW to juggle three balls at a time, but
I am not yet sufficiently skilled to be ABLE to do it.
{"juggle"meH mIw vISov, 'ach jI"juggle"laHbe'.}

Alan Anderson              Delco Electronics
{ghunchu'wI'}       Remanufacturing Services
        Test Equipment System Software Group

Back to archive top level