tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 14 11:36:36 1995

The Emperor's Dialect

>Gowron never was Emperor (as far as I know). He is "just" leader of
>the High Council. As of Rightful Heir there is a new emperor: Kahless
>(or at least a clone of his, made by the monks of Borath).
>
>So if any dialect is now the official one, it's the one spoken by
>(that) Kahless!

The whole dialect thing has bothered me for some time, and here is what I
think of it.  As I understand it, there was no emperor for a *very* long
time.  I can't imagine this causing the Klingon Language becoming stagnant,
so I suppose that the Chancellor or some other high official of the Empire
(the current top political figure) became the one whose dialect is standard.

However, when Kahless returned, we now had a conflict:  he's well-known to be
a figurehead, an icon, and many Klingons support Gowron over him.  There
could be quite a bit of confusion over which dialect should be the standard.
 (As a side note, this could be another explanation for the atrocious Klingon
we hear on Deep Space Nine!)

SuStel
Hovjaj 95950.8

Back to archive top level