tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 13 21:12:14 1995

Re: Translation request (clich'e)

>Aha, so you noticed that!  Indeed, if "De'wI'" is singular (it is), then
>the only reason to use "lu-" is if "mu'vetlh" is plural.  So, it is!  That
>was my way of saying "The computer prints those words."  I indicated the
>plurality of "mu'vetlh" by using the "lu-" prefix.  The "-mey" on the noun
>is optional in Klingon, particularly if the plurality is inferrable from
>other things in the sentence (like the verb's prefix).
>
>OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooops.
>
>After writing that great smarmy response, I realize I have my head totally
>up my 'o'.  I got the prefixes up-mixed.  Owing to a sudden flux of cosmic
>rays and warp particles and a bunch of other radiation the names of which
>we hear only in one episode, my brain had "lu-" for "it/they" (and not
>"they/it", which it is).  Wups.  Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.
>
>Tho my sentence remains grammatical, just not what I meant: it now means
>"The computers typeset this word."  Again, "De'wI'" can be taken to be
>plural based on the prefix.
>
>~mark

I have long felt that plurality could be indicated by means other than Type 2
Noun Suffixes.  I strongly agree that the Verb Prefix {lu-} implies plurality
of the Subject which is not conjoined to a Type 2 Noun Suffix.

qatlto'

~peHruS

Back to archive top level