tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 13 12:14:06 1995

Re: Translation request (clich'e)

>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 22:43:00 -0800
>From: [email protected]

>>>   Any how would you translate "computer typesetting"?
>>
>>Context?  "The computer prints these words" "mu'vetlh lughItlh De'wI'"
>>
>>~mark
>>

>I am curious.  Why did you prefix {ghItlh} with {lu-}?  Even if {De'wI'} is
>considered inherently plural, the verb takes only the null prefix as if the
>subject were singular.  Looking forward to hearing your reasoning.

Aha, so you noticed that!  Indeed, if "De'wI'" is singular (it is), then
the only reason to use "lu-" is if "mu'vetlh" is plural.  So, it is!  That
was my way of saying "The computer prints those words."  I indicated the
plurality of "mu'vetlh" by using the "lu-" prefix.  The "-mey" on the noun
is optional in Klingon, particularly if the plurality is inferrable from
other things in the sentence (like the verb's prefix).

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooops.

After writing that great smarmy response, I realize I have my head totally
up my 'o'.  I got the prefixes up-mixed.  Owing to a sudden flux of cosmic
rays and warp particles and a bunch of other radiation the names of which
we hear only in one episode, my brain had "lu-" for "it/they" (and not
"they/it", which it is).  Wups.  Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.

Tho my sentence remains grammatical, just not what I meant: it now means
"The computers typeset this word."  Again, "De'wI'" can be taken to be
plural based on the prefix.

~mark

Back to archive top level