tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 14 07:00:00 1995

Re: Translation request (clich'e)

>Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 21:17:45 -0800
>From: [email protected]

>I have long felt that plurality could be indicated by means other than Type 2
>Noun Suffixes.  I strongly agree that the Verb Prefix {lu-} implies plurality
>of the Subject which is not conjoined to a Type 2 Noun Suffix.

I'm glad you think so.  Someone wrote a book about Klingon about ten years
ago who thought the same as you. :)  TKD, Section 3.3.2, pp. 21-22:

 "In Klingon, a noun without a plural suffix may still refer to more than
  one entity.  The plurality is indicated by a pronoun, whether a verb
  prefix... or a full word... or by context.  For example... Compare:

     yaS vImojpu'	I became an officer.
     yaS DImojpu'	We became officers.

     yaS jIH		I am an officer.
     yaS maH		We are officers."