tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 13 10:49:56 1995

"bang"

'o'ghItlhDajDaq ghItlh Dotlh:

|            Name: Dotlh            |
|                                   |
|*HIja'*      *Hovmey*      *vIbang*|
|*Yes* *I* *do* *love* *the* *stars*|
<<<<<

ghItlhHomvam vIpar 'a mu' <bang> Dalo'Ha'.

<bang> is glossed "love, one who is loved (noun)".  Ya always gotta
check da part o' speech.  This "love" is a noun referring to or speaking to
a person, as in "Come here, love" or "My love is like a red, red rose", not
a verb as in "I love you" or "So you love the stars, too?"  As far as we
know, Klingon has no verb to translate the English verb "love".  (So also
don't many Terran languages.  Translation is seldom straightforward.
E.g., ancient Greek divides the sense of Eng. "love" into at least three
types.)

I'd say <vIparHa'qu'>.

    tlhIngan veQbeq marqem la'Hom : Subcommander marqem,
                                    Klingon Sanitation Corps
           Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'! : Death to litterbugs!

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level