tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 11 19:59:20 1995

Re: KLBC: Federation Pronunciation

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Adam Walker wrote:

> If you're a native speaker of English you have the other "L" too.
> English has both of them conviniently packaged in one word "little."
> Try saying it out loud listen carefully and pay attention to your
> tongue placement.

I've often read about the two different /l/ sounds in English, but I've
never been able to make the distinction.  My /l/ seems to be articulated
the same for both sounds in "little", in fact, when I say the word
rapidly, my tongue lowers slightly for the /I/ vowel and repositions
itself on the alveolar ridge to make the  /tl/ in the same manner as the
initial /l/ was made. (I vocalize the final /l/ as a syllabic consonant.)
When I say "little", I use an alveolar tap with the tip of my tongue to make
the /t/, which is not the way I articulate an initial  /t/ as in "tap",
which I articulate by flattening a wider portion of my tongue against the
alevolar ridge.

When I make an /l/ only the tip of my tongue touches the alveolar ridge.
Is the other /l/ sound you're referring to made by relaxing the tongue
and pressing a wider portion of it against the alveolar ridge?

> Qogh

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level