tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 08 12:00:48 1995

Re: KLBC: Federation Pronunciation

> Date sent:      7-Dec-95 22:42:12 -0600
> From:           RANDALL2 @ INTERNET (R.B Franklin) {[email protected]}
> To:             TLHINGAN @ INTERNET (Multiple recipients of list) {[email protected]}
> Send reply to:  TLHINGAN @ INTERNET {[email protected]}
> Subject:        Re: KLBC: Federation Pronunciation

> On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, M. Whiteacre wrote:
>
> > >    The sound should be quite similar to the Nahuatl "tl."  KLD even cites
> > >the Nahuatl "tetl" = "egg" or "rock" as an example.  (KLD says "Aztec."
> > >{sigh})  Nahuatl "tl" is a lateralized /t/, usually written phonologically
> > >as a lambda.  When I was trying to learn the sound in Nahuatl, I was told
> > >to hold my tongue in the lateral position as though I were going to say an
> > >initial English "L" and then say "T."  That procedure may work for some.
> >
> > I don't know how many people have the same problem I had with these
> > directions, but after reading a few books on phoenitics, I realized that my
> > normal pronunciation of the /l/ sound is actually the "dark-l" (I don't know
> > how to write this using the IPA).  Starting from that position, you CAN NOT
> > make a "T" sound.  Having realize that, I can now (at least I think so) make
> > a decent tlh sound.  Maybe some day it will be natural, but for now I still
> > have to work at it.
>
> The directions above don't work for me either.  I suspect I make my /l/
> the same way you do.
>
> > Do'val
>
> yoDtargh

If you're a native speaker of English you have the other "L" too.
English has both of them conviniently packaged in one word "little."
Try saying it out loud listen carefully and pay attention to your
tongue placement.

Qapla'

Qogh

Back to archive top level