tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 09 14:56:46 1995

Re: Names vs. new words

ghItlh Matt Whiteacre
Subject: Re: Names vs. new words?

>...might use the word "tranta"...written sentences.  However, that does
>not help you, me, or anyone else understand that they mean a "trantula"
>...They did indeed make up a word for a specific type of spider and
>used it, but did they make a "name" for one, in thier mind yes they did,
>for the rest of us "tranta" is not part of our vocabulary, therefore they
>are speaking gibberish.  If enough people began to use "tranta" then maybe
>it would become a "name" for us all.
     Indeed it would.  It might even replace tarantula.  One recalls the
British epithet "bloody" which few modern day English speakers realize, or
care, was originally "By Our Lady."  I would, however, not really call that
making up a new word.  It is more adopting a gross mispronunciation of an
already existing word or the wreckage of an already existing phrase.  One
of my ancestors was called "Gomy" by all and sundry.  She even signed
informal notes that way.  This arose because one of her first grandchildren
could not pronounce "grandma."  Everyone of that generation took it up, and
she has been refered to in that way right down to the present day.  Yet,
that was not a new word, merely a mispronunciation that became popular.

>If you want to create a formal name for a person (such as QetaH) and have
>that refer to you, there is not a problem, since proper names refer to
>unique things and are commonly "made up" words anyway, but even they
>really have to conform to the basic phonlogy of the language.  (can you
>see a child with the name "jaoskdjyrk"?)

   I can readily agree that proper names typically conform to the basic
phonology of the language, but that statement that they are commonly
"made-up" words anyway raises hackles.  It is true that some people make up
names for their children, but by far the greater number of proper names,
including personal names in use on this planet have meaning, some steeped
in long history.  Most especially, BTW, your own.

     Qapla'

     qeSmIv HarghwI'

Back to archive top level