tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 08 01:54:57 1995

Re: pronouncing tlh

>   > As for these instructions:
>   > <<hold (the) tongue in the lateral position as though (you are) going
>   > to say  an initial English "L" and then say "T.">> I find that it works well
>   > enough.
>
>   This seems to be backwards from what is said by Okrand in PK.
>   "Say a T then whisper an L."
>
> Feedback is welcome.
>
> david

When I tried this, I got a syllable that sounded like t_l, with that
weird not-vowel that the phoenetic alphabet shows as a sort of
upside-down lower-case "e" (I'm sure it has a name)...

What works for me is to first make that sort of clicking/tutting sound
(like some people call horses over with - in fact, the sound you make
when you're trying to imitate the sound of horses' hooves). Then, instead
of breathing in when you make it, breath out instead. Voila - tlh!

Work for anyone else?

vanya.