tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 06 20:41:41 1995

ST:V Backfit

ghItlh maSqa'

>On  5 Dec 95 at 16:40, david barron wrote:
>
>> There is one sentence in ST5 (I think) that is a COMPLETE backfit.
>> The script asked for the actors to say something and they DID, in
>> perfect tlhIngan Hol.
[. . .]
>This is the sort of stuff I need, thanks. I found the letter from
>Krankor, and, for those who are interested, here it is:
>          vaj toDuj Daj ngeHbej DI vI'
>That takes care of the origins of 6 more words...

toH! De'vam vISovbe'qu' jay'!  This clears up a lot of things.  I always
thought it was the actor mistaking lines (since he certainly never spoke
Klingon before).  The subtitles say "Shooting space garbage is no test of a
warrior's mettle," and I always thought Captain Klaa *should* have said
something like {vaj 'ong Daj logh veQ bachlu'mo'}.  The other line, used
later in the scene, has subtitles, "That means the Federation will be sending
a rescue ship of its own," and I hear {vaj toDDujchaj ngeHbej DIvI'}.

The best I could make out of the "space garbage" line was {vaj 'ong DuDaj
ngeHbej DIvI'}.  DaH jIyajqu'bej! I still like using the word {'ong}, but . .
..

SuStel
Hovjaj 95931.2

Back to archive top level